Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Global Development Group
Date: 2002-12-09 13:41:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 07:29:55 -0500, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Dec 2002, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> But once Postgres has been packaged, we need to have a group making a
>> loud enough noise to get the world to pay attention. I'm not asking
>> everyone on this list to participate, but I am asking everyone on this
>> list to recognize the utility of the effort.
>
> Here are my main problems with it.
>
> 1) They're marketing to those that are already sold on it.

I think we've already shown why it doesn't hurt to market to the
converted. I'll add that if you compare the 7.2 press release with the
7.3 press release, you'll see none of the technical content was removed.

> 2) They are,
> or at least were, insisting that I join their list to
> stay informed on what they're doing.

I think it was only suggested that you join since you obviously have a
lot of feedback you'd like to give to the group. Since a lot of people on
-hackers don't want to be involved in the process, it seemed a bad idea
to post all of the detail work to this list.

> 3) They need to learn HOW to market from someone who knows (not me)
> how or they'll never be taken seriously.

I've seen more posts saying that "until you get a decent website your
not going to be taken seriously" than anything else, by far. While I'm
hoping that's not entirely true, I do agree that until we get a coordinated and
open web development process the advocacy group is going to have a much
harder go of it.

Robert Treat