Re: INSTALL file nits

From: Rich Morin <rdm(at)cfcl(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INSTALL file nits
Date: 2005-09-29 02:22:14
Lists: pgsql-docs

At 10:59 AM +0900 9/29/05, Michael Glaesemann wrote:
>Not clear if you're new to PostgreSQL or not, but regardless, a warm
>welcome is extended.

Thanks! I've been lurking on this list for quite a while. I published
the PostgreSQL manuals a few years ago (under the PTF/Dossier imprint),
but that enterprise wasn't profitable enough to sustain itself. I also
hang out with some PostgreSQL types in the SF Bay Area and have been
looking at using PostgreSQL with Ruby on Rails, because it handles some
things that neither MySQL nor Rails does (in any reasonable fashion :-).

>The short version is definitely that: short. It ceases to be short
>when one adds all of the caveats for all of the various systems and
>environments in which PostgreSQL will run.

Yeah, well, I _did_ scan down the file in search of specific OSXisms.

>One of the joys of open source is that the community can contribute,
>be that source code or documentation. (hint hint)

Well, I'm not really expert enough to document the "right" Way To Do It,
but reporting bugs isn't chopped liver...

>> adduser postgres
>> No such command. I considered using System Preferences > Accounts
>> to add a user, but this seemed like a rather bogus approach, as it
>> would put a user in the Login dialog (unlike lp, postfix, ...). I
>> found a (slightly dated) note from Apple, however, that suggested
>> just this approach, so I gave it a try.
>
>To get around this, ...

See, you have all this wonderful arcana at your fingertips. Why not put
it in an OSX-specific README, let it bounce across the list a few times,
and put it in the distro (or on a wiki, if that's preferable)?

Thanks, in any case, for the useful hints...

-r
--
email: rdm(at)cfcl(dot)com; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com - Canta Forda Computer Laboratory