Re: PostgreSQL on Linux PC vs MacOS X

From: Jeff Bohmer <bohmer(at)visionlink(dot)org>
To: Jim Strickland <jims(at)americanroamer(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on Linux PC vs MacOS X
Date: 2004-11-03 20:02:12
Lists: pgsql-general

>I noticed you ran PostgreSQL on a G4. What version of OS X were you
>running? Is it possible the issues you were facing were fixed with
>the newer G5 processor?

We were using OS X 10.2 in production. We currently use 10.3 for our
development machines.

I would be shocked if a processor could fix stability issues in an
operating system. As for performance, I cannot say how much better
PostgreSQL runs on a G5 as we don't have any G5s. In terms of
hardware specs, a G4/1.25Ghz should blow away a P3/800. But it
didn't for us, and I think that is because Linux/x86 is much more
efficient than OS X/ppc. I do not expect that to change with a newer
ppc processor.

Since your your developers believe a dual G5 to be plenty, you will
probably get more than enough performance from an XServe G5 and any
comparable 2-way Intel or AMD x86 system. PostgreSQL should handily
outperform 4D. If those systems are in your price range, and
stability isn't a big concern, you should probably go with the OS you
are more familiar with.

- Jeff

VisionLink, Inc.
303.402.0170 x121