Darwin/MacOSX 10.1.1 configure issues with b3

From: "Henry B(dot) Hotz" <hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Darwin/MacOSX 10.1.1 configure issues with b3
Date: 2001-11-30 19:57:56
Lists: pgsql-ports

A lot of these issues may not be Postgres, but here are the problems
I ran into in the configure stage with the b3 version.

Can't use kerberos 5 "error: library com_err is required for Kerberos
5" There is such a library and a man page for such a routine. If
you create a 3-line dummey program to reference com_err() and use
-lcom_err then you get some funny unresolved external reference by
way of the kerberos 5 framework (which I never asked for). I'm not
sure if this is a real problem in Apple's framework mechanism or a
funny in the way configure and I are checking for the existence of
the routine.

Can't use openssl because there is no ssl.h file. This is an old
10.0 bug that I would have hoped was fixed by now. It does mean I
can't test the openssl integration until I re-fix it though.

Can't use tk. I loaded the alpha release of the native Aqua Tk port.
It gets me a Wish Shell.app, not a /usr/bin/wish. This seems
reasonable, but how do we get Postgres to use it? Can Postgres use
it?

The Tcl header files are in two different non-standard places. I had
to sudo ln -s to get links all in one directory since it appears you
can only have one --with-includes configure option. At least the 8.4
alpha includes the headers since the 8.3 with 10.0 didn't.
Henry(dot)B(dot)Hotz(at)jpl(dot)nasa(dot)gov, or hbhotz(at)oxy(dot)edu