Re: Restricting Postgres

From: Pierre-Frédéric Caillaud <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
To: "Matt Clark" <matt(at)ymogen(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restricting Postgres
Date: 2004-11-04 23:21:48
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

check this marvelus piece of 5 minutes of work :
http://boutiquenumerique.com/test/iframe_feed.html

> Yup. If you go the JS route then you can do even better by using JS to
> load data into JS objects in the background and manipulate the page
> content directly, no need for even an Iframe. Ignore the dullards who
> have JS turned off - it's essential for modern web apps, and refusing JS
> conflicts absolutely with proper semantic markup.
>
> http://developer.apple.com/internet/webcontent/xmlhttpreq.html is a good
> starting point.

Didn't know this existed ! Very, very cool.
I have to check this out more in depth.

A note though : you'll have to turn off HTTP persistent connections in
your server (not in your proxy) or youre back to square one.

> It's clear that this discussion has moved way away from PG! Although in
> the context of DB backed web apps I guess in remains a bit on-topic...

I find it very on-topic as
- it's a way to help this guy solve his "pg problem" which was iin fact a
design problem
- it's the future of database driven web apps (no more reloading the
whole page !)

I think in the future there will be a good bit of presentation login in
the client...