Re: Visualize database schema

From: Zdeněk Bělehrádek <zdenek(dot)belehradek(at)superhosting(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Visualize database schema
Date: 2012-08-14 15:07:01
Lists: pgsql-general

> Hello,
>
> Apologies if this question has been asked before, but I couldn't come up
> with a decent solution...
>
> Can anyone advice about a tool to visualize a database schema? Ideally, I
> would like something that takes the SQL definition of a schema or
> database
> (essentially the output of pg_dump) and produces a graphical
> representation
> of the tables, constraints and indexes which can be moved around for ease
> of visualization (something like the "Graphical query builder" that comes
> with pgAdmin =>1.14).
> I don't care (and don't want) to modify or query the database with such
> tool, I just want to visualize it. (In fact, I tried to use pgAdmin for
> this but the graphical queries can only be saved as images and so they
> cannot be reloaded).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dario

I am using SchemaSpy (http://schemaspy.sourceforge.net/) from time to
time. It connects to running database (using JDBC driver, so it can talk
to practically any RDBMS) and generates set of HTML pages containing
interlinked diagrams and descriptions of schema. It can even guess
relations from column names.

With regards
Zdeněk Bělehrádek