Re: Do we want SYNONYMS?

From: "Mark Felder" <feld(at)feld(dot)me>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Do we want SYNONYMS?
Date: 2010-12-06 21:28:26
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 06 Dec 2010 15:09:04 -0600, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> though I think it is possible to do
> in Oracle.

I'm not a DBA but the DBA I closely worked with at my last job had me do
maintenance on a VPN that went to another company -- basically we had
synonyms on both ends that let our databases be interconnected. They paid
to have access to our data via this VPN and the synonyms. I'm pretty sure
I remember things changing a few times and if the synonyms weren't
matching on both ends stuff would break. So yeah, I'm 99% this is possible
in Oracle and I don't know how anyone would replicate that type of an
environment in Postgres.

Regards,

Mark