Re: shared_buffers advice

From: "Pierre C" <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Dave Crooke" <dcrooke(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Paul McGarry" <paul(at)paulmcgarry(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shared_buffers advice
Date: 2010-03-16 11:24:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

> -My warnings about downsides related to checkpoint issues with larger
> buffer pools isn't an opinion at all; that's a fact based on limitations
> in how Postgres does its checkpoints. If we get something more like
> Oracle's incremental checkpoint logic, this particular concern might go
> away.

Does PG issue checkpoint writes in "sorted" order ?

I wonder about something, too : if your DB size is smaller than RAM, you
could in theory set shared_buffers to a size larger than your DB provided
you still have enough free RAM left for work_mem and OS writes management.
How does this interact with the logic which prevents seq-scans hogging
shared_buffers ?