Re: How to store directory like structures?

From: PFC <lists(at)boutiquenumerique(dot)com>
To: "Oleg Bartunov" <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, "Axel Straschil" <axel(at)straschil(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to store directory like structures?
Date: 2005-04-03 19:57:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

> you need to load ltree into your database !
> psql yourdb < ltree.sql
>
> use 'locate ltree.sql' to find if ltree is installed

Yeah, I remember now having to do that, but the binary module definitely
was here without having to do anything besides "emerge postgresql" :

peufeu(at)nyuu peufeu $ locate ltree.so
/usr/lib/postgresql/ltree.so

peufeu(at)nyuu peufeu $ locate ltree.sql
/usr/share/postgresql/contrib/ltree.sql

So just :

psql yourdb < /usr/share/postgresql/contrib/ltree.sql

And you should be OK.
Really this module is amazing. You can put a trigger on the table so
that, for instance, the path is created automatically from the element
name and the parent_id, that kind of things. I remember search was also
really fast and you can use complex queries without CONNECT BY...