Re: have you feel anything when you read this ?

From: PFC <lists(at)peufeu(dot)com>
To: "Eugene E(dot)" <sad(at)bankir(dot)ru>
Cc: "Achilleus Mantzios" <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: have you feel anything when you read this ?
Date: 2006-03-20 16:44:27
Lists: pgsql-sql

> I wrote:
>
>>> the problem is: you'll get this four byte sequence '\000' _instead_
>>> of NUL-byte anyway.
>
> You wrote:
>
>> Your client library should take care of escaping and de-escaping.
>
> We both agree as you see.
>
> Then i am asking:
> WHY should a client take care of de-escaping ? Why not to get his data
> unchanged ?

I can understand why you say that for something as simple as a BYTEA, but
if the value to be passed to the client is an ARRAY of geometric types or
something, you gonna need an open, platform-agnostic exchange format
between the way postgres internally represents it and the way the client
represents it (in my case, a python list containing instances of python
classes representing boxes, etc, it'll be different for every language).

Exporting data from postgres in binary is only useful to C programmers
who can import the required struct definitions, and you still have to
manage the format, it's just that you walk struct's instead of unescaping
\'s