Re: bad performance on irix

From: Pete Forman <pete(dot)forman(at)westerngeco(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bad performance on irix
Date: 2002-03-25 15:04:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

lamigo(at)atc(dot)unican(dot)es ("Luis Alberto Amigo Navarro") writes:

> we're running on sgi powerchallenge, 8 r10000 4-way smp, and we're
> getting bad performance from postgres, throughput increases from 1
> to 5 streams, but from 5 and above there is no further increase,
> performance analysis show high sleep waiting for resources

IIRC there is a bottleneck on calls to sleep() or similar on IRIX
SMP. All requests are dealt with on just one of the CPUs. I don't
recollect whether there is a way to work around that or whether
programs need to be rewritten.
--
Pete Forman -./\.- Disclaimer: This post is originated
WesternGeco -./\.- by myself and does not represent