Wal Segment files Backup Strategy for archiving

From: Frederiko Costa <frederiko(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Wal Segment files Backup Strategy for archiving
Date: 2010-04-15 21:33:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello folks,

I wanted to use the archiving feature, with log shipping / warm-standby
server. No problem on setting up so far. However, reading the documentation
brought me one question that I'd like to share with the list.

In the documentation, as far as I understood, it's said you need to make a
base backup and copy the data cluster area to the destination you choose.
Use pg_start_backup(), copy the data/ directory (or the cluster area), and
pg_stop_backup(). It created the first checkpoint (correct?) and copied the
wal segments to the area you specified. You can even delete the files under
pg_xlog, because you will rely on the ones shipped out. The question is:
once the base backup has been made and I change any setting on this primary
server, on postgresql.conf for example, would I have to redo the procedure
and set Pgsql to backup mode if I want to apply these changes I made updated
on standby server or it's just a matter of transferring the file to the
standby server?

Thanks,
Frederiko Costa