Re:

From: "Andy Farrell" <Andy_Farrell(at)gator-gate(dot)itd(dot)sterling(dot)com>
To: "PostGreSQL Questions" <pgsql-questions(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "PostGreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re:
Date: 1998-03-23 11:15:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Reply to: RE>

Hello,

Given the results of a query, I need to determine the maximum length of a
variable length field using the perl interface to postgres. Is there
something in the "results" buffer I can use or do I need to query the system
catalogs for this information? Also, what field in which class contains
this information? I couldn't seem to find a field in the pg_attribute class
which provides this information.

Also, is their a descriptive database design document available for the
system catalogs?

TIA,
Andy