Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL

From: "Marshall Spight" <mspight(at)dnai(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dreaming About Redesigning SQL
Date: 2003-10-23 08:26:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Bob Badour" <bbadour(at)golden(dot)net> wrote in message news:W46dnf4tbfF1DwiiU-KYgw(at)golden(dot)net(dot)(dot)(dot)

> All physical structures will bias performance for some operations and
> against others.

This strikes me as a succinct statement of the value of
data independence. One has the option (but not the
requirement) to adjust the physical structures the DBMS
uses while keeping the logical model (and therefor all
application code and queries, etc.) unchanged.

Unless one has data independence, one does not have
this option; one will be locked into a particular
performance model. This is why I found the MV
guy's obvious pleasure at being able to precisely
describe the performance model for his DB as odd:
I thought it a deficit to be able to say what it was;
he thought it an asset.

Marshall

PS. This is nothing you don't know, Bob; just a
comment for the group.