Re: Issues on OSX - Jaguar

From: Mirko Zeibig <mirko-lists(at)zeibig(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issues on OSX - Jaguar
Date: 2002-09-06 11:39:34
Lists: pgsql-general

In article <DLEOKEMOOBGOBOHDJBAMMEDACPAA(dot)rsanford(at)trefs(dot)com>,
"Robert J. Sanford, Jr." wrote:
> Okay, I'm a *nix newb. A friend just pointed out that I should try ./psql
> and that worked. I acted under the assumption that the current directory was
> considered part of the path as it is in Windows (unfortunately my current
> fiscal lifeblood). Sigh.
Hello Robert,

this would be very unsecure, imagine a user on a multi-user host had
a small shell-script named "ls", which would invoke "rm -rf /".

When root entered this directory and tried to have a look at it's contents
with "ls" and the current directory (".") would be the first entry in the
path, root could erase the whole disc!

Best Regards
Mirko