Re: [GENERAL] Status reporting for COPY

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: jim(at)nasby(dot)net
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Status reporting for COPY
Date: 2003-05-14 22:02:06
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Jim C. Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net> writes:

> If the performance gain of COPY over \copy is substantial it might still
> be nice to figure something out; but I'm guessing that the gain isn't
> than big... or is it? FWIW, some databases just use a seperate utility
> for copy/load...

\copy just invokes COPY on the server side, reads the file on the
client and send it to the server over the DB connection. It's for
situations where the client and server are different machines, or the
server process can't see the file you're loading.

If server and client are on the same machine COPYing directly from the
file (in the server) will probably be a little faster than \copy in
psql.

Adding progress reporting to server-side COPY is still bloat IMHO.

-Doug