Re: Slony-I makes progress

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slony-I makes progress
Date: 2004-03-05 03:18:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-hackers

In the last exciting episode, jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl (Jochem van Dieten) wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>> I personally don't think that a GUI tool should be the province of
>> the Slony project. Seriously. I think that Slony should focus on
>> a command-line api and catalogs, and allow the existing GUI
>> projects to build a slony-supporting interface.
>
> Why a command line api? I believe it would make sense to be able to
> configure and control all nodes of the entire system from psql
> connected to any of the nodes. That would also facilitate the
> existing GUI projects in adding a Slony-manager.

Interesting...

That would mean that the 'server' part of the application would be
'monitoring' NOTIFY requests on each of the nodes, right?

Hmm... Queue up some records in the slony1.node_requests table, to
indicate what needs to be changed, then NOTIFY "slony1".

The server then has to look at _all_ the nodes for
slony1.node_requests entries.

It would be _very_ easy to write command line apps to manage this; no
need to add any extra RPC scheme (e.g. - Java RMI, CORBA, talking to
sockets), and no need to open extra firewall ports in addition to the
ports already needed in order for Slony to communicate with the
various databases.

Further bonus: the "GUI project" need only have a database connection
to one of the databases to control things. No need for ANYTHING else.

After fleshing it out a little, that's a pretty slick approach.
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://cbbrowne.com/info/multiplexor.html