Re: location of the configuration files

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-13 13:32:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In the last exciting episode, cjs(at)cynic(dot)net (Curt Sampson) wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Feb 2003, Peter Bierman wrote:
>
>> What do you gain by having the postmaster config and the database
>> data live in different locations?
>
> You can then standardize a location for the configuration files.
>
> Everybody has room in /etc for another 10K of data. Where you have
> room for something that might potentially be a half terrabyte of
> data, and is not infrequently several gigabytes or more, is pretty
> system-depenendent.

Ah, but this has two notable problems:

1. It assumes that there is "a location" for "the configuration files
for /the single database instance./"

If I have a second database instance, that may conflict.

2. It assumes I have write access to /etc

If I'm a Plain Old User, as opposed to root, I may only have
read-only access to /etc.

These conditions have both been known to occur...
--
If this was helpful, <http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=cbbrowne> rate me
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/rdbms.html