Re: location of the configuration files

From: Oliver Elphick <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location of the configuration files
Date: 2003-02-13 17:28:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2003-02-13 at 13:32, Christopher Browne wrote:
> > Everybody has room in /etc for another 10K of data. Where you have
> > room for something that might potentially be a half terrabyte of
> > data, and is not infrequently several gigabytes or more, is pretty
> > system-depenendent.
>
> Ah, but this has two notable problems:
>
> 1. It assumes that there is "a location" for "the configuration files
> for /the single database instance./"
>
> If I have a second database instance, that may conflict.

I think that moving configuration to [/usr/local]/etc/postgresql implies
the need for sub-directories by port, possibly with a default config to
be used if there is no port-specific config file.

> 2. It assumes I have write access to /etc
>
> If I'm a Plain Old User, as opposed to root, I may only have
> read-only access to /etc.

The location should be configurable; I hope we're talking about the
default here. For distributions it should be /etc/postgresql; for local
builds it should be /usr/local/etc/postgresql, assuming you have root
access. If you don't, the -c configfile switch suggested elsewhere in
this debate would be needed.

--
Oliver Elphick Oliver(dot)Elphick(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk
Isle of Wight, UK http://www.lfix.co.uk/oliver