Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql and Athlon64 ?
Date: 2005-02-01 23:17:20
Lists: pgsql-general

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, ntpt(at)centrum(dot)cz ("NTPT") transmitted:
> Will I have some advantages, better performance etc using postgres
> 7.4 or postgres 8.x on Athlon64 system with 64 bit Linux distro ?Are
> there asome benchmark available or someone  personal experience ?

> Or should I stay in 32 bit platform  for a while ?

The ability to have Lots of Memory is a BIG help; the Intel Xeon
platform "maxxes out" at 8GB, and in practice at more like 4GB,
whereas AMD64 supports _way_ more than that along with a much faster
memory bus than you get with Xeon.

We're finding that Opteron is way faster than similarly numbered Xeon
systems.

The challenge you may find is in what high end disk controllers are
supported; many of them only offer 32 bit DMA...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/advocacy.html