Re: Slony uninstall info/warning

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slony uninstall info/warning
Date: 2005-02-15 19:00:20
Lists: pgsql-general

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com (John Sidney-Woollett) transmitted:
> MAKE SURE YOU STOP YOUR APPLICATION RUNNING AGAINST YOUR MASTER
> DATABASE WHEN REMOVING THE WHOLE SLONY CLUSTER, or at least re-cycle
> all your open connections after the event!
>
> The connections appear to "remember" or refer to objects which are
> removed by the uninstall node script. And you get lots of errors as a
> result (and possible data loss??)...

As has been noted by others, this is an artifact of the JDBC driver
holding onto a stored query plan. And it's somewhat worth noting that
this is not unique to Slony-I...

I have added warnings to relevant documentation in the Slony-I CVS
tree. This may also be worthy of a FAQ note for PostgreSQL itself,
and is almost certainly worthy of note in the JDBC documentation...
--
(format nil "~S(at)~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/slony.html