Re: 775,000 downloads plus

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 775,000 downloads plus
Date: 2005-07-31 05:01:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> If PostgreSQL had a native Windoze Installer for the last five
> years, we'd be the "Most Advanced" AND the "Most Popular" open
> source database.  I think that more than two thirds of the
> production instances of PostgreSQL will still be *nix and that two
> thirds (or more) of the downloads will be Microsoftie.  I think lots
> of folks prefer a click-click-finish install if they just want to
> try something out quickly.

It seems to me that one of the routes to "more installs" would be for
there to be similar support in cPanel for PostgreSQL as there is at
present for MySQL(tm).

There's some support; my present hosting provider has some PostgreSQL
icons here and there; alas, it's dysfunctional :-(. (Possibly a
pg_hba.conf problem; I haven't access, so I can't infer...)

OTOH, I can run initdb, so could build what I need :-).
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html