Re: Can't import databases with pg_dump. Why?

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: antonio(at)sunstone(dot)it
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't import databases with pg_dump. Why?
Date: 2002-11-04 20:38:39
Lists: pgsql-general

"Antonio G. - Geotronix" <antonio(at)sunstone(dot)it> writes:

> In your reply you told me that I'm not using pg_dump to restore. But as
> you can see in my previus message I am using pg_dump :-)

Well, it's wrong. ;) I phrased my response badly--I meant "You
shouldn't try to use pg_dump to restore, because it won't work."

Try it like this:

psql famiglia < /mnt/redhat/home/postgres_postgres/famiglia.dump

This assumes your dump is in SQL format, which pg_dump creates by
default. If you used custom or tar format, you need to use
'pg_restore' instead. See the documentation for more info...

-Doug