Re: Explicit configuration file

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, mlw <markw(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Explicit configuration file
Date: 2001-12-12 12:03:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I wonder if we should go one step further. Should we be specifying the
> config file on the command line _rather_ than the data directory. We
> could then specify the data directory location in the config file. That
> seems like the direction we should be headed in, though I am not sure it
> is worth the added headache of the switch.

That's what mlw is advocating--all the startup script has to know is
the conf file location. I for one think it's totally worth doing, and
it won't break any existing setups--if -C (or whatever) isn't
specified, postmaster expects PGDATA on the command line and gets the
donfig file from there; if it is, PGDATA comes from the config file.

-Doug
--T. J. Jackson, 1863