Re: PostgreSQL replication on Windows

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL replication on Windows
Date: 2005-01-23 13:41:47
Lists: pgsql-ports

Martha Stewart called it a Good Thing when xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net (Robert Treat) wrote:
> On Thursday 20 January 2005 06:14, Harm van der Ploeg wrote:
>> Are there any replication solutions that have been tested on
>> Windows. The options listed on the PostgreSQL site all require
>> Linux/Unix or are only available as source. I am not able to
>> compile these sources.
>
> I think all of the open source ones require *nix, although I think
> you could set up slony on a central machine and use it to replicate
> remote windows servers if you wanted. If your willing to pay for
> such software, I believe command prompt has plans to port thier
> system (mammoth replicator) to windows, so you might want to contact
> them.

All the replication systems I know of require some compiled code
running on all servers.

For Slony-I to function, for instance, requires having some triggers
implemented in C which would therefore have to be compiled on Windows.
The same is true for the "open source" version of eRServer.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'ntlug.org';
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/multiplexor.html