Re: [PERFORM] Raw devices vs. Filesystems

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Raw devices vs. Filesystems
Date: 2004-04-09 19:34:44
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com (Josh Berkus) wrote:
>> Well, as I said, that's why I was asking - I'm willing to give it a go
>> if nobody can prove me wrong. :)
>
> Why not? If you have time?

True enough.

>> I thought you knew - OCFS, OCFS-Tools and OCFSv2 have not only been
>> open- source for quite a while now - they're released under the
>> GPL.
>
> Keen! Wonder if we can make them regret it.
>
> Seriously, if Oracle opened this stuff, it's probably becuase they
> used some GPL components in it. It also probably means that it
> won't work for anything but Oracle ...

It could be that the experiment shows that OCFS isn't all that
helpful. Or that it helps cover inadequacies in certain aspects of
how Oracle accesses filesystems.

If it _does_ show that it is helpful, then that may suggest a
filesystem implementation strategy useful for the BSD folks.

The main "failure case" would be if the exercise shows that using OCFS
is pretty futile.
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'acm.org';
Do you know where your towel is?