Re: vacuum and backup

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: "Brent R(dot) Matzelle" <bmatzelle(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum and backup
Date: 2001-02-27 18:37:08
Lists: pgsql-general

"Brent R. Matzelle" <bmatzelle(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:

> > 3) Has anyone written some shell scripts to do vacuum and
> > backup?
> > I will have to write some but am not conversant with shell
> > scripts and
> > would greatly appreciate any help.
>
> You would probably be better off writing your scripts in a
> system language such as Python or Perl. Here is an excerpt from
> a basic Python backup program I wrote (uses pg_dump &
> postgresql-python) that does just that.

I don't know; I think shell scripts are quite adequate for backup and
VACUUM (especially since 7.x comes with the 'vacuumdb' program). I'm
a big Perl hound, but for something that just kicks off a couple of
existing programs I think Perl and Python are overkill.

Just MHO, and not really on-topic...

-Doug