Re: [HACKERS] JDBC and Perl compiling problems w/ postgresql-7.1rc4

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: "Homayoun Yousefi'zadeh" <homayounyz(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: charliederr(at)organicmeat(dot)net, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] JDBC and Perl compiling problems w/ postgresql-7.1rc4
Date: 2001-04-10 06:14:23
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers pgsql-jdbc

"Homayoun Yousefi'zadeh" <homayounyz(at)home(dot)com> writes:

> Thanks for the response. I actually went thru
> the full exercise when I was compiling Tomcat
> engine with Ant. Every thing seems to be set up
> properly. This is a part od /etc/profile file
> that shows the settings of environmental variables.

Hmm, nothing obviously wrong there that I can see...

> Did you use j2se 1.3_02 for Linux from Sun
> to build the driver?

Actually, I think it was Blackdown 1.2.2, with PG7.1beta5 (I haven't
tried compiling anything later). If I run into the prblem you're
having with RC4 or the release 7.1 (as I plan to compile them soon)
I'll try to look into it.

> BTW, I did not have any problem building the
> driver under version 7.0.3.

I don't think 7.0.x used Ant, so it's not surprising.

> >> The perl problem is definitely coming from libperl.a
> >> file as specifically mentioned in the Makefile.
> > No solution for this except to get the Perl sources, configure it to
>
> > build a shared libperl.so, and build and install the whole thing.
> > None of the RPM packages that I know of supply a shared library for
> > Perl.
>
> This is what I was not hoping for.
> Why does version 7.0.3 not have the problem?

Because it doesn't have Perl as an embedded procedural language (see
below).

> Do you guys suggest I go thru the exercise
> of building libperl.so or this is going to
> be fixed w/ the official release?

What you may not be aware of is that there are two places where Perl
is used in the build. One is the Perl client library (the 'Pg'
module). This should not require libperl.so as all it does is build a
bog-standard extension module.

The other usage is for Perl as an embedded procedural language like
PL/PGSQL. In order to compile this you need a shared libperl. It is
not a "bug" in Postgres; it's simply what's required to embed the
Perl interpreter into the backend.

If you just want the client lib, I think you can ignore the missing
libperl.so and the client will be built just fine. PL/Perl isn't that
useful right now anyhow since it doesn't have an interface to the
backend's query mechanism.

-Doug