Re: Commercial postgresql

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Commercial postgresql
Date: 2003-09-02 04:37:48
Lists: pgsql-general

After a long battle with technology,lowen(at)pari(dot)edu (Lamar Owen), an earthling, wrote:
> On Monday 01 September 2003 22:08, Vivek Khera wrote:
>> I use it in 24/7/365 system which is heavily written to and read
>> from. The drawbacks I have are:
>
> Nitpik: that should be 24/7/52, since there aren't 365 weeks in a year.

Actually, it usually gets presented as 7x24x365, which has the same
sort of insensible transposition as gets used in American dates. It's
a buzzword, so how you imagine it _should_ get spelled isn't relevant
:-).

>> 1) upgrade to major versions require dump/restore which is a
>> significant amount of downtime for a large DB.
>
> I have harped on this at length. Maybe one day we'll get real upgrading.
> Search the archives for the discussions; there are many, and they are long
> threads.

Another strategy would involve replicating to a database running the
new version; this could seriously diminish the need for downtime.

You would have an instance of the old version and one of the new; the
new copy might get set up for replication over some fairly substantial
period of time, and once it got caught up, you'd switch over to the
replicated copy, which might only take minutes.

That's a _real_ dynamic approach, one that involves serious
preparations. Wildly more involved than other approaches...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/lisp.html