Re: Connect By for 8.0

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connect By for 8.0
Date: 2005-02-06 20:19:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at (Hans-Jürgen Schönig) wrote:
> I think it is important not to think in dogmas (in this case this
> means SQL syntax is always better) - there should be a reasonable
> compromise between compatibility and standard.
> My compromise would be: Support both syntaxes if possible.

As long as they can co-exist, that seems plausible.

I'd personally rather see the standard form, as it's got a more
diverse set of uses. If introducing the CONNECT BY form did anything
to prevent implementing it the RIGHT way, I'm pretty sure I'm not the
only one that would be most displeased.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "gmail.com")
http://linuxfinances.info/info/slony.html