Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) and Windows 7 (x86-64) - Unable to install

From: "Dr(dot) Peter Voigt" <pvoigt(at)uos(dot)de>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "BitRock Support" <support(at)bitrock(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) and Windows 7 (x86-64) - Unable to install
Date: 2010-10-01 15:15:35
Lists: pgsql-general

First of all: Thanks to all who contributed to this issue. There are
many helpful and interesting comments.

I am going to reply to Christian's first question: How did TEMP end up
with this value?

I have just scanned my installation protocol which says, that I made a
registry backup of the current user enviroment right after the basic
system installation. After that backup I restored the previously saved
Windows XP Pro x86 DE user environment. This step changed the TEMP
setting from its default value to "C:\Users\ADMINI~1\LOKALE~1\Temp"
(8.3 notation), which corresponds to

"C:\Users\Administrator\Lokale Einstellungen\Temp".

I unintentionally changed the TEMP variable from its default
setting. I should have checked whether the TEMP values has changed or
not - but I did not. Newertheless, I would not have expected any
problems from a changed TEMP setting even if it contains links.

From my backup of the original user environment
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment] I can reconstruct the default value of
TEMP:

TEMP=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

which resolves to

TEMP=C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp

The default TEMP setting does not contain any links. As a link is
obviously causing the installer to fail, it will probably finish
without problems when using either the default TEMP setting or any
non-default setting that does not contain any links.

Before I am going to install with the default TEMP setting I am doing
the desired tests for the BitRock Support and wait for the answer.

I will keep the list informed about any new results.