Inheritance and DELETE

From: Enrico Scholz <enrico(dot)scholz(at)wirtschaft(dot)tu-chemnitz(dot)de>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Inheritance and DELETE
Date: 1999-08-26 22:23:40
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

to represent objects of a filesystem I am using these tables:

---------------------

CREATE TABLE fsObject -- an abstract filesystem-object
(
fsOid serial,
name text NOT NULL,
parent int -- a directory id
);

CREATE TABLE files
(
) INHERITS (fsObject);

CREATE TABLE directory -- can be the parent of a fsObject
(
) INHERITS (fsObject);

----------------------

Because chapter 9 (Inheritance) of the "User Guide" the documentation
is saying "Many of the commands that we have already discussed --
select, update and *delete* -- support this "*" notation...", I tried
to handle the deletion of a directory with this rule:

----------------------

CREATE RULE chg_fsO_on_dir_delete AS ON DELETE
TO directory
DO DELETE FROM fsObject* WHERE parent = OLD.fsOid;

But PostgreSQL is complaining with the message

'ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "*"'

What is to correct syntax for the "*" in a DELETE-statement?

Enrico

--
eMail: enrico(dot)scholz(at)wirtschaft(dot)tu-chemnitz(dot)de
talk: ensc(at)ultra(dot)csn(dot)tu-chemnitz(dot)de