Re: Licensing

From: Doug McNaught <doug(at)wireboard(dot)com>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Licensing
Date: 2001-12-06 16:47:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:

> Is there a standard way of making "safe" (no filesystem/network
> access etc.) version of TinyScheme ?

Yeah, very standard: add it to the code. ;) There are no "hooks" for
that kind of access control currently. I'm not aware of a Scheme
system (except possibly Guile, just because it has everything else:)
that has such.

> Just recently there was much fuss about PL/Python's ability to read
> files. Or are you planning to make only an untrusted PL ?

Probably start off untrusted and add trusted afterward--I'd like to
get the basics (interface between Scheme and PG datatypes, SPI glue) in
place and get familiar with the code. It shouldn't be too hard to add
a "capability mask" to the interpreter structure and put permission
checks in.

-Doug
--T. J. Jackson, 1863