Re: 2 postgresql processes on the same machine ?

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 2 postgresql processes on the same machine ?
Date: 2004-07-23 12:44:59
Lists: pgsql-general

In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, lists(at)klawitter(dot)de (Holger Klawitter) transmitted:
> Hi Jean
>
>> My question may seem a little bit strange but
>> I'd like to know if it is possible to run 2
>> postgresql processes with 2 separate databases on the
>> same machine (change of the ports, different paths to
>> logs, ...)?
>
> Yes, it easily possible (the necceary options are documented).
> But if the issue is only about more than one database, you
> don't need to, as postgres can serve more than one database.
> (my postmaster serves 18 DBs).

I have seen a number of good reasons to have multiple postmasters on a
single host, notably that cache is shared across all databases in a
single cluster; if different databases have very different access
patterns, one of them might destroy the usefulness of the cache.

That is quite likely to change with ARC in 7.5, but we're not there
quite yet.
--
"cbbrowne","@","cbbrowne.com"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/spiritual.html