Re: Extensions, patch v16

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Extensions, patch v16
Date: 2010-12-10 08:26:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> On Dec 9, 2010, at 12:34 PM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>> - add support for 'relocatable' boolean property in the control file,
>> as discussed on list
>
> This still isn't ideal, but I think it's a big improvement. Thanks.

Glad you like it :) If you see any way to manage that better, please do
tell. Just be sure to review the past 18 months of on-list discussion
about the topic before to go thinking extension vs search_path is easy
to solve, or even possible to solve.

>> \dx lists only installed extensions
>> \dx+ <extension> lists the objects, calling pg_extension_objects()
>> \dX lists available extensions (and installed too)
>
> +1 I think that's much more like existing psql commands.

Good, I'll have that in the next patch version, waiting for until your
review of the new one :)

> So:
>
> * If $extension.control.in exists, use that
> * If it doesn't, generate $extension.control from the Makefile variables

What if $extension.control exists? Is it a byproduct of the .in file
from previous `make` run or a user file? What if we have both the .in
and the make variable because people are confused? Or both the make
variables and a .control and not .control.in? Etc...

> * Always remove $extension.control in the `clean` targets

Hell no, as you can bypass the .in mechanism and provide directly the
.control file.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine