Re: Embedded Postgres

From: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
To: Ognjen Blagojevic <ognjen(at)etf(dot)bg(dot)ac(dot)rs>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Embedded Postgres
Date: 2010-04-22 08:35:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Ognjen,

> Is there a way to run Postgres in embedded mode? More precisely, to run it
>>> without using TCP/IP port, and without installing as a service?
>>> I am aware of Unix-domain sockets, but is there something similar for
>>> Windows?
>>>

>> on unix, as you imply, it can be run with unix domain sockets, but not on
>> Windows as they simply don't have this interface. and, it can be started
>> as an application rather than as a system service, but it still runs as a
>> separate process from your application(s) and in my book, thats not really
>> embedded.
>>

> within Windows there is the concept of a "named pipe". You could dig into
the communication code of Postgres which puts data through the unix-socket,
and write an "named pipe" communicator. PostgreSQL would still be running in
its own process, but only accessable from within the application. Be aware:
that is an idea for a solution; it is neither included nor projected for
PostgreSQL.

Harald

--
GHUM Harald Massa