Re: PL/java?

From: Gunnar Rønning <gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com>
To: "Alex Knight" <knight(at)phunc(dot)com>
Cc: "Marshall Spight" <marshall(at)meetstheeye(dot)com>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/java?
Date: 2001-09-01 10:12:03
Lists: pgsql-general

* "Alex Knight" <knight(at)phunc(dot)com> wrote:

| Even when compiled into bytecode, Java is much slower than C/C++ when

Well, compiling into bytecode is what you always do on the Java platform.
There are some native compilers as well for the Java _language_,
but these do not produce faster code than what you get with the best
of breed just in time compilers.

| bechmarked... However, Java does what I need it to. But just to clarify,
| the "myth" continues on about "slowness."

Feel free to live in the dark.

Why do you think IBM jumped on the Java wagon ? Because they needed
some cute applets on their desktops ?

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/news/05jun2000.htm

--
Gunnar Rønning - gunnar(at)polygnosis(dot)com
Senior Consultant, Polygnosis AS, http://www.polygnosis.com/