Re: DeArchiver process

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DeArchiver process
Date: 2011-11-02 16:25:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> My solution is to create a new process called the DeArchiver. This
> will run restore_command in a tight loop until the number of files
> would exceed wal_keep_files, then sleep. Each time the DeArchiver
> executes restore_command it will set the return code and if rc=0 the
> new XLogRecPtr reached. If standby_mode = on it will continue to retry
> indefinitely.

+1

I think you mean wal_keep_segments, a GUC that we already have.

> Which do we prefer "DeArchiver", "Restore process", or "WALFileReceiver".

The only part of your proposal that I don't like is the process name,
that "deArchiver" thing. "wal restore process" or something like that
would be better. We already have "wal writer process" and "wal sender
process" and "wal receiver process".

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine