Re: Message queue table - strange performance drop with changing limit size.

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Message queue table - strange performance drop with changing limit size.
Date: 2010-01-02 12:25:14
Lists: pgsql-performance

Jesper Krogh <jesper(at)krogh(dot)cc> writes:
> I have a "message queue" table, that contains in the order of 1-10m
> "messages". It is implemented using TheSchwartz:
> http://search.cpan.org/~bradfitz/TheSchwartz-1.07/lib/TheSchwartz.pm

One way to approach queueing efficiently with PostgreSQL is to rely on
PGQ. New upcoming 3.0 version (alpha1 has been released) contains the
basics for having cooperative consumers, stable version (2.1.10) only
allows multiple consumers to all do the same work (think replication).

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Skytools
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGQ_Tutorial

Regards,
--