Re: Tablespaces across same raid...

From: Douglas McNaught <doug(at)mcnaught(dot)org>
To: Himanshu Baweja <himanshubaweja(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespaces across same raid...
Date: 2005-06-27 13:29:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Himanshu Baweja <himanshubaweja(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:

> i just have one raid controller with 6 disks
> attached... i see all of it as single drive with three
> partitions create by me...
>
> will creating tablespaces help me.... also is there a
> way i can say this table to this disk???

In a RAID, all data goes across all disks, so in your case the answer
is no. I doublt tablespaces would help, because again all data goes
across all disks.

What you might consider, if you can break up the RAID, is to use two
disks for a mirrored pair (RAID-1). Put the WAL logs (the pg_xlog
directory) on that volume. Then make a RAID-5 with the other four
disks for the rest of the database. The pg_xlog directory is
constantly written to so having it on independent disks is very
helpful with performance.

-Doug