Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?)

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: in-catalog Extension Scripts and Control parameters (templates?)
Date: 2013-02-22 16:03:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Please find attached v3 of the Extension Templates patch, with full
pg_dump support thanks to having merged default_full_version, appended
with some regression tests now that it's possible.

The patch also implements ALTER RENAME and OWNER facilities for those
new templates objects.

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
> Now, back to Extension Templates: the pg_dump output from the attached
> patch is not smart enough to cope with an extension that has been
> upgraded, it will only install the *default* version of it.

That's been fixed by merging in the default_full_version patch.

> There are two ways that I see about addressing that point:
>
> - implement default_full_version support for CREATE EXTENSION and have
> it working both in the case of file based installation and template
> based installation, then pg_dump work is really straightforward;
>
> CREATE EXTENSION pair VERSION '1.2'; -- will install 1.0 then update

And that just works at pg_restore time, automatically, without pg_dump
having to know anything about how.

Regards,
--
Dimitri Fontaine

Attachment Content-Type Size
templates.v3.patch.gz application/octet-stream 37.1 KB