Re: [HACKERS] pltcl and LDAP

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: Joe Conway <jconway2(at)home(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pltcl and LDAP
Date: 2000-02-23 10:22:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joe Conway wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I posted this a few days ago on the pgsql-sql list, but got no response. Is
> there any way to enable loading tclLDAP from within a pltcl function? I
> would like to maintain an openldap directory using an update/insert trigger.
>
> I modified pltcl.c to load a non-safe interpreter and recompiled. This
> allowed me to use the "load" command, but the tclLDAP library still would
> not load. The error message is:
>
> ERROR: pltcl: couldn't load file "/usr/lib/tclLDAP/Ldap.so":
> /usr/lib/tclLDAP/Ldap.so: undefined symbol: Tcl_PkgProvide (#1)

Um - and that's the only unresolved one?

Which version of Tcl is used from PL/Tcl, and which version
is the Ldap.so linked against?

> I am not even close to being fluent in c. I would greatly appreciate any
> suggestions.
>
> BTW, perhaps in some future release you might consider allowing a non-safe
> tcl interpreter (or at least some kind of controlled external library
> support) as an option.

Kinda that is on my personal TODO/wishlist. Splitting PL/Tcl
into two separate interpreters internally, identified by
different language names. The unsafe language, with full
access to OS under the postgres userID, would be an untrusted
language, so creation of functions is restricted to DB
superusers.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #