Re: [HACKERS] ERROR: infinite recursion in proc_exit

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: kmunn(at)munn(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] ERROR: infinite recursion in proc_exit
Date: 1999-11-05 12:48:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Kristofer Munn <kmunn(at)munn(dot)com> writes:
> > [PostgreSQL 6.5.2 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc egcs-2.91.66]
>
> But that's not very relevant to your real problem, which is that
> there must be something corrupted in pg_attribute's indexes.
>
> > What are the ramifications of continuing with the corrupted indexes -
> > undefined behavior?
>
> I wouldn't recommend it.
>
> > Filesystems have fsck to fix stuff - are there any
> > tools on the docket to reconstruct the indexes or other recoverable
> > things?
>
> I've thought for some time that vacuum ought to just rebuild the indexes
> from scratch. That'd provide a recovery path for this sort of problem,
> and I suspect it'd actually be faster than what vacuum does now. I'm
> not volunteering to make it happen, though.

I don't know if you could drop/rebuild an index on a system
catalog while the database is online.

But there was sometimes a utility called reindexdb. That used
the bootstrap processing mode interface of the backend to
drop and recreate all system catalog indices. I don't know
who removed that and why, neither do I know if it would still
be possible to drop and reindex through the bootstrap
interface.

Does someone remember why it's gone?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #