Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: wieck(at)debis(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots
Date: 1999-10-30 16:30:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > BTW: There are alot of files on the main site where cvs stat
> > doesn't tell up-to-date. Some are locally modified but not
> > committed, some need a merge.
>
> You mean files on the site that are not in cvs, or are newer than the
> cvs copies. Either Vince or I did that, I suppose. How did you find
> which ones they were? Vince, any ideas?

[wieck(at)hub] ~pgsql/ftp/www/html > cvs stat |& less

The locally modified ones don't seem to be a problem to me
since they are what's visible outside and simply need a
commit.

But the ones telling Needs Merge are! This status means,
that the working file is a locally modified copy of an older
revision in the CVS. A cvs update would try to merge both
modifications into the new working file and this is required
before a commit! Let's take devel-contrib.html as an example:

[wieck(at)hub] ~pgsql/ftp/www/html > cvs stat devel-contrib.html
File: devel-contrib.html Status: Needs Merge

Working revision: 1.29 Mon Mar 29 16:43:09 1999
Repository revision: 1.44 /usr/local/cvsroot/www/html/devel-contrib.html,v
Sticky Tag: (none)
Sticky Date: (none)
Sticky Options: (none)

The last cvs update brought the working copy (that one
actually on the web site) into sync with 1.29. Since then,
there have been 15 commits from other working directories
plus local modifications to the file. Looking at the diff it
seems that the authors (momjian and vev :-) have a checkout
of the repository on their home system, commit modifications
there and instead of checking them out on the main site they
just copy their working files onto the site, ignoring that
the main site is another working directory of the same
repository. That's just what I guess from what I see.

Just to be complete (don't know if there are any) the state
Needs Patch means, that the working file is an unmodified one
needing a cvs update because there where modifications to the
CVS from somewhere else.

To fix this situation I think we should first commit the ones
that are modified locally via

cvs commit <file>

and do a

cvs update <file>

for any one that needs a patch.

Finally we have all those left that need a merge. I'm not
sure, but can we say that what's actually on the site is
correct? If so, we could take the files one by one, move the
actual file out of the way and do a

cvs update <file>

This will checkout the file in the state, the repository
thinks is correct. Then we move back what we know is actual
and do a commit. After this move-update-moveback cvs thinks
it's a locally modified one and the new cvs revision is then
what anybody can see on the web.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #