Re: [HACKERS] postmaster dead on startup from unportable SSL patch

From: "D'Arcy" "J(dot)M(dot)" Cain <darcy(at)druid(dot)net>
To: peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net (Peter Eisentraut)
Cc: lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster dead on startup from unportable SSL patch
Date: 1999-10-02 11:25:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thus spake Peter Eisentraut
> > The single-character switches are definitely non-intuitive. Implement
>
> It's a backend people! My man page shows 12 defined switches, so there are
> at least 44 character switches left. A little imagination please.

My take is that on the CL I want single character flags for speed of
entry and in startup scripts I can comment if neccesary.

> Or do you *really* want to get into the business of writing your own
> getopt replacement??? Then you are liable to end up with something even
> less intuitive.

Well, in fact I do and have. :-)

See http://www.druid.net/~darcy/files/getarg.c for a different type of
getopt. It uses a different programmer API to add some functionality
but looks the same to the user unless they know about the extras.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy(at){druid|vex}.net> | Democracy is three wolves