Re: [HACKERS] current CVS snapshot of pgsql crash ...

From: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, davids(at)orfinet(dot)cz, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] current CVS snapshot of pgsql crash ...
Date: 1999-06-03 10:39:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > For that matter, why do we allow user expressions to call the type
> > input/output functions at all? They're not really usable as SQL
> > functions AFAICS...
>
> Yes, they take C pointers, don't they. You can't return one of those in
> any SQL function or column name.

Doing textout(byteaout(... really makes no sense. But being
able to do a textin(mytypeout(... does make sense for me.
Without that, there MUST be type casting support for
MYTYPE->TEXT in the parser.

Sometimes ppl implement user defined types. I assume this
kind of type casting is used somewhere in a couple of
applications.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #