Re: [HACKERS] Re: Developers Globe (FINAL)

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, vev(at)michvhf(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, vadim(at)krs(dot)ru
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: Developers Globe (FINAL)
Date: 1999-03-22 10:48:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > My first thought was a big truck on a road in the desert with
> > some cirrus clouds in the sky and "PostgreSQL" written on the
> > trailer. Maybe some snow capped mountains in the background.
>
> Let me give you an idea.
>
> Instead of a truck, a freight train.
>
> You could have the engine with PostreSQL on the side, and the boxcars
> could have PostgreSQL keywords on it, like SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, RULE,
> etc. The cars could trail off into the distance.
>
> Or you could picture a horseshoe curve, like we have in Pennsylvania.
> The curve does a 180 degree turn, like an upside-down U, so you see more
> of the train in the picture, with the engine on the left, and caboose on
> the right. (I can show you a picture if that helps.) You could put the
> name PostgreSQL on the mountain in the background of the curve too,
> again with keywords on the boxcars.
>
> You could even add a train to the bottom of the existing logo you have
> made, with perhaps objects in the hopper cars. Would make a nice logo,
> and give it some movement. Smoke trailing out of the engine, etc.
>
> Of course, being from Pennsylvania, USA, I have to recommend a train.

Another nice idea - better than the truck.

But (I known that many of my sentences begin with but) - but
I thought about all that during the wieckend without creating
pictures. And I came to the conclusion that we make a major
mistake actually.

We are talking about some nice image for the WEB banner, not
about a LOGO.

PostgreSQL doesn't have a logo. There is a wide range of
kinds of logos out in the world. Some are simple graphics,
some are self associative ways to instanciate something. Most
car manufacturers use some simple graphic that could easily
be made out of chrome (must be part of the concept) or with
few colors:

a lion (Peugeot)
two upward pointing angles (Citroen)
four circles (Audi)
a circle in bavarian colors (BMW)
a rhomb (Renault)
a stylistic H (Honda)
specially forms of stars (Chrysler, Mercedes)

Most of them have interesting shading and reflectional
effects when made out of chrome.

One well known self associative thing is this: Write any
combination of three capital letters in horizontal blue
stripes. What a brand!

Free software products also have logos already. Remember this
coloured feather, that little cute penguin or the little
devil.

Except for the last two (Linux and BSD), all these logos can
be easily drawn in any pixel editor and don't need a
raytracer. If we come up with such a thing, it might be easy
to create a raytraced WEB banner image where this logo stands
out. But thinking of the image first is bottom up.

Another advantage having such a logo would be, that the
banner image could change from time to time without loosing
anything. Only that the logo must be subject of all the
images.

I like the coloured feather of Apache, because it is simple
and tells something about it. The message I see is "free and
light".

Sorry for taking us back to the start. But we need to make
the first step first.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #