Re: [HACKERS] Postgres Speed or lack thereof

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us, jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Postgres Speed or lack thereof
Date: 1999-03-15 21:09:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Can someone remind me where we left this memory context stuff?

I've changed AllocSetAlloc() and friends to manage small
allocations in bigger blocks together where the sizes are
round up to powers of two and free's chunks in the blocks are
reused in place. The entire blocks get only free'd when they
get completely free.

Then I've changed palloc() etc. into macros (which started
the discussion on mcxt.h - sorry).

Overall speedup from the changes (for regression) is
something about 10-15%.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #