Re: [HACKERS] Projecting attributes of function return values

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian)
Cc: Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Projecting attributes of function return values
Date: 1998-12-14 09:38:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I have applied this to the CURRENT tree, so the fix will appear in 6.5.
> I have not applied it to the RELEASE tree, so it will not be in 6.4.1.
> Not sure there is going to be enough testing for that.
>
> Thanks for the patch.
>

> > Hi all
> >
> > I have a simple patch about the treatment of functions.
> > But it may be self-satisfied.
> > Please check my patch at the end of this posting.
> >
> > Case 1. executor evaluates functions twice
> >
> > create table a (elem int4);
> > create function ax2(int4) returns a as
> > 'select $1*2;' language 'sql';

It addresses a problem I've mentioned some time ago.
Functions returning sets or complex types have targetlists,
but these aren't handled correctly in the executor.

Me and Thomas G. Lockhard where discussing another rangetable
entry type lately, which is in fact a subselect. That might
cover this problem more completely in the future.

So pls let it out of the REL6_4 tree for now.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #