Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items

From: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
To: winter(at)jurai(dot)net (Matthew N(dot) Dodd)
Cc: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org, maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, brook(at)trillium(dot)NMSU(dot)Edu, jwieck(at)debis(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Open 6.4 items
Date: 1998-10-29 16:31:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > Solaris just doesn't have any mechanisms to work around the
> > limitation, I guess *shrug* It really sucks when you want to SIGHUP
> > the "parent process", which, under FreeBSD at least, is the one that
> > states: -accepting connections, but under Solaris they are *all* the
> > same :)
>
> $ ps -eaf
> UID PID PPID C STIME TTY TIME CMD
> root 0 0 0 Oct 12 ? 0:01 sched
> root 1 0 0 Oct 12 ? 0:15 /etc/init -
>
> You'll note the 'PPID' field.
>
> 3 guesses what that stands for.

Don't see how this is related to the topic - sorry.

PPID is the parent process ID. sched has no parent (it's a
kernel pseudo process) and init has sched as father. For all
other processes the PPID is set to init's PID at the time
their father dies (you'll see lot's of PPID=1).

But this all has nothing to do with changing the CMD column
of the ps output from inside a running process.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #